NCBMP and Destinations International Announce Strategic Partnership
Monday, July 6, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
National Coalition of Black Meeting Professionals (NCBMP) and Destinations International Announce Strategic Partnership
Washington, D.C. (June 26, 2020) – Destinations International, the world’s largest resource for official destination organizations, convention and visitors bureaus (CVBs) and tourism boards announced that it has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the National Coalition of Black Meeting Professionals (NCBMP), a non-profit organization dedicated primarily to the leadership development of Black hospitality professionals and all hospitality professionals that support Black meetings and events.
The two organizations will collaborate to create a shared advocacy plan that provides comprehensive data and actions that speak to the projected disparities within the destination organization ecosystem. The goal of the partnership will seek actions that strive to educate, uplift, and unite the hospitality industry in an equitable way.
The collaborative goals that will be developed include:
- Creating, supporting and publishing a 5-year annual destination organization report card that measures diversity and inclusion in the broader hospitality industry.
- Establishing a 5-year partnership that invests in an annual leadership academy focused on an executive leadership track for diverse/Black candidates, to diversify executive level candidates.
- Leveraging partnership to position the “We’re Here to Help Campaign,” a campaign recently launched to unite the meetings and events industry.
- Diversifying and increasing the use of ethnic subject matter consultants, that are supported by Destinations International and the NCBMP network.
- Developing, implementing and sustaining an advocacy strategy to support the above goals through innovative programming and comprehensive approaches.
“Destinations International is committed to listening and engaging in conversations and working with members and partners in our industry to be a catalyst for change,” said Don Welsh, President and CEO of Destinations International. Our partnership with NCBMP will allow us to strengthen and grow our diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives with a company committed to the needs of Black hospitality professionals and all hospitality professionals that support Black meetings and events.
“Destinations International has answered the call of helping us point the moral compass of the hospitality ecosystem, towards equity and empowerment,” said Jason Dunn, NCBMP Board Chair. The foundation of this partnership is cemented in gaining the understanding of where our industry is currently and establishing measurable KPIs in a sustainable way. This is the first step in the right direction, we must be bold and innovative to create change.”
About Destinations International:
Destinations International is the world’s largest resource for official destination organizations, convention and visitors bureaus (CVBs) and tourism boards. Destinations International is about serving destination marketing professionals first and foremost. Together with almost 6,000 members and partners from nearly 600 destinations in 13 countries, Destinations International represents a powerful forward-thinking, collaborative association: exchanging bold ideas, connecting innovative people and elevating tourism to its highest potential. For more information, visit www.destinationsinternational.org.
The National Coalition of Black Meeting Professionals (NCBMP), founded in 1983, is a non-profit organization dedicated primarily to the training needs of Black hospitality professionals and all hospitality professionals that support Black meetings/events. Since its founding, NCBMP has made a significant impact in the hospitality community by advocating for equity and helping members maximize their ROI.